Whether you make this on game day or eat it as a main meal, this Mexican Beef Skillet requires one pan only and only 40 minutes of your time!
We love ground beef recipes here at Fit Foodie Finds because beef adds so much flavor to whatever you are cooking. Keep scrolling for more healthy ground beef recipes.
This Mexican Beef Skillet is a Fit Foodie reader favorite. It’s one of our best healthy ground beef recipes because it’s veggie-packed, high-protein, and made with just one pan!
Seriously one of the BEST Ground Beef Recipes!
Made in just one pan, this Mexican skillet recipe is made with all the flavors, plus is packed with veggies, beans, and rice, too!
In this post, we’ll teach you how to make one of the best ground beef recipes on the internet, how to serve it, and how to freeze it.
PS: this seriously might be one of the best healthy ground beef recipes we’ve ever made! Plus, it has hundreds of 5-star reviews!
What does this Mexican Ground Beef Skillet Taste Like?
Similar to our Mexican casserole, this skillet is made with ground beef, taco seasoning, rice, beans, and tons of veggies. It tastes similar to a burrito bowl, but it’s made in one pan on the stovetop.
How to Make a Mexican Ground Beef Skillet
- garlic: every good Mexican dish starts with garlic and that’s just a fact. Feel free to add more if your heart desires.
- yellow onion
- bell pepper: we love sneaking veg into our dishes when we can and bell peppers fit quite nicely in this skillet. Choose any color you’d like and even double it if you feel like it.
- ground beef: the star of this dish really is the ground beef. Now, we like a little fat in our ground beef, which is why we used 85%, but feel free to use a less fatty beef OR even swap it out for ground turkey.
- taco seasoning: we always have an all-purpose taco seasoning on hand at our house. It’s meant exactly for recipes like this! Basic spices, but a whole lot of flavor.
- tomato sauce: a little tomato sauce goes a long way. All you need is 1/2 cup and you’re good to go!
- green chiles: green chiles are mild for a pepper, yet they add really great flavor. If you like it spicy, be my guest and use jalapeños instead!
- black beans: black beans are another one of those Mexican essential ingredients. I keep a stock-pile of cans in my cupboard because they’re cheap and high protein. Feel free to use pinto instead!
- Instant rice: instant rice is pure magic. Let me stress the instant because in order for this to coo properly, you need to use instant rice, not regular rice. We tested this with both brown and white and they work swimmingly!
- shredded cheese: all skillets deserve to be topped with shredded cheese. Add as much or as little as you’d like!
Here are all of the essentials you need to make one of the most amazing Mexican ground beef recipes. PS: these are great kitchen items to have on hand for making all ground beef recipes!
As you know, this recipe only requires one pan and one pan only! That means the Instructions are rather simple.
- Cook Veggies: Start off by partially sauteeing the bell pepper, garlic, and onion in olive oil. The goal here is to get them partially cooked, but not all the way.
- Add Beef: Move the veggies to one side and add ground beef. Saute until the beef is fully cooked and then mix everything together.
- Add Rest of Ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil. Then, turn the burner down to low and cover it. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has softened.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3! And, clean-up is a breeze because you only dirtied one pan.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning with just 9 ingredients you likely already have in your spice cupboard, and you’ll be on your way to the most flavorful meat or veggie tacos in no time.
Nachos: Our personal favorite way to serve this skillet is with tortilla chips. That means you can either eat it as nachos for a main meal or an appetizer! Cough cough, game day! Try our ground beef nachos.
Tacos: Grab a few street taco shells and plop some of this in there as the filling. You get it all –> meat, veggies, and rice! Top it with a scoop of guac and you’re good to go! Here’s our fav ground beef tacos recipe.
Bowls: Eat this skillet as-is with #allthetoppings. Think avocado, hummus, fresh cilantro, and lime juice! Here’s a recipe for our fav Beef Taco Bowls.
Burritos: Got leftover skillet? Use it as filling for freezer burritos. Simply follow the directions in our Freezer Beef Burrito post on how to freeze for later!
Fridge: Let ground beef skillet cool completely. Then, transfer into a glass container. Will last in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Freeze for Later
This is a great recipe to freeze for later! Hold off on adding the cheese and then let the skillet cool completely. Transfer into a freezer-safe, gallon-size bag and then remove as much air as possible. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
Common Questions About this Recipe
Can I use normal white rice or brown rice? Unfortunately, we only recommend using minute rice as both the cooking time and amount of liquid would change.
Can I use pinto beans instead of black beans? Yes! Any kind of beans will work for this recipe.
How do I make this less spicy? The best way to make this less spicy is to reduce the spice from the taco seasoning you use. Omit the paprika and cayenne pepper.
Can I make this vegetarian? We have tested this with a plant-based ground and it came out great. Feel free to use your favorite kind.
Can I sub quinoa instead? While we haven’t personally tried this, many of you have and said that quinoa works just great.
Can I use a different kind of ground beef? Yes! Many of you have made this recipe with ground turkey, ground chicken, and ground venison.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb. 85% ground beef
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons green chiles
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice (quick-cooking white rice works too!)
- 1.5 cups beef broth (any kind)
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium/high heat in a large nonstick skillet*.
- When olive oil is fragrant, add garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Then, move veggies to the side and add in ground beef. Saute ground beef for 7-9 minutes, or until fully cooked. Mix everything together in the pan.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, green chiles, and black beans and cook for a few minutes. Then, add in quick-cooking rice and broth. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and cover. Let simmer for around 20 minutes or until the rice has softened and absorbed the majority of the liquid.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of skillet and either let melt naturally or pop it in the oven at 400ºF for a few minutes to fully melt cheese.
- Serve beef skillet with chips!
Tips & Notes
- Skillet size: we used a 16-inch skillet, but if you use something smaller, just make sure it is deep enough. A dutch oven would work perfectly!
- Nutrition information includes our homemade taco seasoning recipe.
Serving Size: 1/6
Keywords: ground beef skillet
Top 5 Healthy Ground Beef Recipes
Here are our top 5 meals with ground beef that we just know you will LOVE. These recipes are packed with flavor, protein, and are easy to put together.
Taco night has never been easier or more delicious than with these Easy Ground Beef Tacos that are seasoned with a simple (and clean ingredient!) homemade taco seasoning, and paired with your favorite toppings.
Italian meatballs and pasta is a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly dinner idea. This truly is the best meatball recipe and it’s simply made with ground beef, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and your favorite marinara!
This Wild Rice Meatloaf packs all the savory flavors (+ 19g protein per serving!) you love during the colder months of the year. Cozy up and make this easy and delicious meatloaf recipe for dinner tonight!
Make tonight Italian night with this amazing crockpot lasagna! This lasagna is made with a flavorful meat sauce, a delicious cheese mixture, and is super easy to make. Make it for the family tonight or meal prep it for the week!