Make a loaf of this wonderful, naturally sweetened blueberry banana bread for a fun twist on the classic banana bread recipe.
Delicious Blueberry Banana Bread
It’s deliciously moist, naturally sweet, and I don’t know many people who would turn down a slice of this banana bread with a cup of coffee.
What does blueberry banana bread taste like?
This blueberry banana bread tastes like cross between banana bread and a blueberry muffin. The best of both worlds!
Why Make Blueberry Banana Bread?
Change-up: blueberry banana bread is a fun change-up to regular old banana bread!
In-season: blueberries in season? Use them up in this banana bread recipe!
Healthy: this healthy blueberry banana bread is made with whole grains, coconut oil, and is naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
Blueberry Banana Bread Ingredients
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s made with whole, healthy ingredients leaving it super moist and perfectly sweet. Here’s what you need:
White whole wheat flour: this blueberry banana bread is made with a white whole wheat flour base. This is our go-to flour when making healthy muffins or loafs! We choose this flour over normal whole wheat because it creates a less dense bread!
Blueberries: the star of this blueberry banana bread is obviously the blueberries! It’s what gives this classic recipe a sweet twist!
Bananas: the runner-up star of this recipe is, of course, mashed bananas. In this recipe, we used 3 ripe bananas. Don’t sell yourself short and make sure you use RIPE bananas because they’re sweeter and more flavorful.
Greek yogurt: For a little extra protein, we snuck some Greek yogurt into this blueberry banana bread recipe. This also helps reduce the amount of additional fat or oil needed in order to get a moist bread!
Vanilla extract: Cuz every loaf deserves some vanilla.
Maple syrup: Instead of using refined sugar, we stuck with maple syrup, our favorite plant-based sugar!
Coconut oil: This recipe only calls for 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. If you don’t have this oil at home, you casn easily sub for a different baking oil such as canola.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Frozen blueberries work perfectly in this recipe so feel free to swap fresh for frozen.
- Mix Dry: first, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Mix Wet: mash the bananas in a large bowl until there are few lumps. Then, add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix.
- Combine Dry & Wet: slowly add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Finally, add coconut oil and blueberries and mix again.
- Bake: transfer batter into a greased bread pan. Bake at 350ºF for 45-50 minutes or until fully cooked.
Top 3 Tips for Perfect Blueberry Banana Bread
- Use ripe bananas: the riper the bananas you use, the sweeter your banana bread will be.
- Tent if needed: banana bread looking too brown on the sides? Simply tent it with a piece of foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely: always let your banana bread cool completely before slicing or it may crumble!
Let blueberry banana bread cool completely. Then, store on the countertop for up to 3 days or in the fridge for 3-5 days (recommended).
Can you freeze blueberry banana bread?
Make one, two, or three loaves of this healthy blueberry banana bread and freeze it for later.
- Let your bread cool completely.
- Then, tightly wrap it in tin foil.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1.75 cups white whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1.5 cups mashed)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside ½ cup of blueberries for later. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash the 3 bananas with a fork (or alternatively you can place them in a blender to get extra smooth). Then, mix in the rest of the wet ingredients minus the melted coconut oil.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Then, add in melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Pour batter into greased bread pan, sprinkle the last half cup of blueberries on top, and bake at 350ºF for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove banana bread from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, and remove from pan to finish cooling.
Tips & Notes
- Freezer Directions: let blueberry banana bread cool completely. Then, wrap bread tightly with saran wrap, removing as much air as possible. Follow the saran wrap with tin foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving Size: 1/8
Keywords: blueberry banana bread